Warning: This post is not for the faint of heart. Do not read if you are easily grossed out. Or if you’re about to eat lunch.
I’ve found lots of hair in my meals over the years, but my friend Kristin’s story takes the cake for grossest thing ever found in food. Interestingly, it wasn’t something she found right away.
“The other night I felt something weird in my throat,” Kristin says. “It felt like a piece of cheese was stuck and when I put my chin to my chest it felt like it was coming up more.”
“So I started coughing,” she continues, “and I coughed up a worm! I had it in my fingers (thinking it was cheese) then looked at it and it was wiggling. I flicked it on my friend’s table because I was so shocked and it was still wiggling. It’s okay, you can gag.”
If you’re anything like me and can’t stop shuddering but need more details, here goes:
*The worm was about two inches long.
*The Kaiser lab that analyzed it said it’s a parasite from raw fish. Less than 10 cases happen a year in the U.S.
*Kristin ate the sushi in question a month before! (A month!)
Can you imagine? What would you do? I wouldn’t even think to capture it and have it analyzed! My brother once found a long, curved acrylic nail in his shrimp fajitas, but a worm is an entirely different story. What’s the grossest thing you’ve ever found in your food? (Also, has anyone out there never found hair in their food? It feels like it happens to me a disproportionate amount!)
(Photo by Kimberly Genevieve)