The thing I love about presents is how you can use a thoughtful gift to make someone really feel special. Beautiful wrapping paper, a personalized card and the element of surprise—it’s not just another Amazon package with toothpaste inside. So while the actual gift is important, it’s the presentation that really makes the entire experience. Right down to the bow. It might sound simple, but there’s a definite art to tying them. And Tiffany has perfected it.
What Makes a Good Bow
The Tiffany bow is great for a few reasons:
- You can tie it entirely yourself (no borrowed fingers required!)
- There are no knots involved so it unravels with a single tug (no running to fetch scissors halfway through unwrapping!)
- It works magically on packages of all sizes (and with all kinds of ribbon!)
How to Tie a Tiffany Bow
My cousin Denise used to work at Tiffany and taught me all of the steps. Here’s how…
Place the ribbon in the center of the box and hold in the center with your left hand. Leave approximately a box length of ribbon at the bottom of the box.
Bring the other end up to the top…
…and wrap it around the left side and back of the package…
…bringing it back up around the right side to meet your left hand.
Watch How to Tie a Tiffany Bow
Gift Like a Pro
- Box it up—Always start with a box whenever you can because 1) it makes wrapping easier and 2) it makes your present look like a million bucks. When I give gifts crisply wrapped in a box, people often tell me they don’t even need the gift inside—they’re happy enough just to have the wrapped box. These kraft boxes are cute, but if you’re in a pinch, an old Amazon box works, too.
- Use pretty paper—Because people notice. And it’s another opportunity to delight your gift recipient.
- Include a card—For most gift recipients, the note inside is more important than the actual card. I never spend more than a dollar or two on my cards. (The Target dollar bin is a great place to get cards.) But always make sure to include a personalized note (never write only your gift recipient’s name at the top and your name at the bottom!)
- Put a Bow on It—A pretty ribbon is the finishing touch that gives your gift that extra pop. I love using thick white ribbon (the wiring makes it really easy to keep the bow shape), fluffy white yarn and baker’s twine.